Sunday, June 15, 2008

FIRE!!!


Well, we had a fun weekend...I say with sarcasm dripping in my voice! Saturday morning Eric went to play basketball, and then to do errands early in the morning. Claire came and woke me up and she and I went downstairs. As we reached the first floor she tugged my hand and said, "Mommy, why is there smoke in the house?" My first reaction...OH, CRAP!!! I ran to the phone to call Eric, and his cell rang in the kitchen. Why is it that whenever there is an emergency one of our cell phones is left at home? I called Bonnie and lucky for me our good friends Shawn and John were working on her deck. They raced over here, took one look and called the fire department. Shawn brought Cade and Claire to his house to play with his kids while we waited for the fire dept. to show up. About one minute before they arrived, Eric came home...and I was able to melt down a bit.

What they think happened was that during these crazy storms lightning struck the house! The wiring smoldered and eventually shot out of an electrical outlet. The fireman said we were really lucky and to make sure that all our smoke detectors were updated.

Bonnie and I took the kids out to breakfast so that Eric could air out the house, and when we came home we baked cookies for the firemen who had come to the house. We dropped the cookies off at the station and they let the kids climb in all the trucks and play with everything. They even gave the kids fire hats, stickers, and coloring books! So, alls well that ends well. Now, I really do have to repaint the front room!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea you are all alright. I am checking my smoke detectors to be sure they are working.

H. Wimmer said...

Wow... I'm glad To hear everyone is ok!!! That would be so scary. I'm totally checking on my smoke detectors.

Heather said...

He he he...I thought at first that the picture was of a belly button that you superimpossed a fire over for some reason. Glad you are safe.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is crazy! Gald you are all safe and sound. At least it gives you something to blog about. IT's good to have a reason to post, even if it means setting your house on fire! j/k :)

TStevens said...

If you wanted people to believe the lightning story, Eric shouldn't have recorded the TRUTH.

Jaush and Amy said...

thats insane. Is your house properly insured? I know someone who can help you with that if you need it.

Seriously, I am glad everyone is okay. Have fun painting.